Call logs, speech drafts among records Trump is trying to block for investigators on January 6th

The National Archives indicated that many files were retrieved from the systems of key Trump assistants, including former chief of staff Mark Meadows, adviser Stephen Miller and deputy attorney Patrick Philbin.

Other documents include “draft presidential address for January 6, 2021, Save America March; a handwritten list of potential or scheduled briefings and telephone calls regarding election issues; and a draft election integrity notice… a draft proclamation in honor of the deceased Capitol “Police officers Brian Sicknick and Howard Liebengood and related emails from the Executive Secretary’s office relating to the committee’s interest in the White House’s response to the Capitol attack.”

“These records all relate to the events on or around January 6 and may assist the select committee’s investigation into that day, including what happened in the White House immediately before, during and after the January 6 attack,” Justice Department lawyers said. on behalf of archivist David Ferriero, wrote in the archive.

The documents have been excavated in four different tranches identified by the National Archives since the selection committee requested them on 6 January at the end of August. Trump sued to block the release on Oct. 15 and has asked a federal judge to issue an emergency order blocking the National Archives to send them to the committee.

The National Archives submitted its filing in response to Trump’s trial of an emergency court order to block Ferriero from sending them to Congress. Trump has argued that disclosure of the documents would destroy executive privileges and present an unprecedented intrusion into the executive branch.

But the archives rejected Trump’s legal arguments, stressing that the committee’s requests on Jan. 6 were tailored specifically to its investigation and that President Joe Biden had already made the “obviously reasonable” decision to reject Trump’s claim to privilege.

“Even assuming the applicability of executive privileges, the documents can help the select committee understand the efforts to communicate with the American public, including those who attacked the Capitol on January 6, on issues of alleged voter fraud, electoral security and other topics related to the 2020 election, “according to the archive.

Trump’s efforts to suppress more than 750 pages of records are far broader than hitherto known, and include documents from three separate tranches identified by the National Archives since early October in response to a request from the select committee on January 6.

IN its own archiving, the select committee said on Jan. 6 that a federal court must reject Trump’s efforts to slow down its investigation or risk allowing future elections to be abused.

The panel claims that Trump and his allies’ continued efforts to undermine confidence in federal elections reinforce the committee’s need to access Trump’s White House records to understand his attempt to overturn the 2020 election result.

“The urgency of the work can not be overstated,” House Counsel Doug Letter wrote in the 52-page legal brief delivered Friday night to Judge Tanya Chutkan. ‘The threat that brought the attack on January 6 is underway. “Those who mistakenly claimed the election was stolen (including Mr. Trump) continue to do so.”

Chutkan is scheduled to hold a hearing on Trump’s attempts to block access to his records on Thursday. She has been among the most outspoken judges on the federal bench in Washington, DC, calling the January 6 attack a fundamental attack on democracy – driven by rebels loyal to Trump. In the chaos that day, several rioters died and more than 140 police officers were injured.

Ferriero has indicated that he intends to hand over a first tranche of documents by November 12, unless a court decides otherwise.

In his trial, Trump argues that the committee’s efforts to investigate the attack are political, and efforts to obtain his documents will erode the ability of all future presidents to hold honest talks with advisers and allies.

But in its new filing, the committee sharply rejects these allegations, noting that Biden had already judged the investigation meritorious and that Trump’s unique role in promoting false claims about the election justifies an intensive retelling of his actions.

“Mr Trump is – right now – a case of one,” the committee argues. a self-coup that would illegally keep him in office, or to inspire a mob to attack the Capitol. There is no one who is more important to study to determine how legislation can prevent the recurrence of such acts. “

In addition, the committee says that if Trump’s trial were to succeed, it could condemn efforts to fully understand what happened on Jan. 6 and “to prevent a similar future attack on American democracy.”

Throughout its submission, the committee stresses that Biden agrees with lawmakers on the urgency of its investigation. And it cites precedent from the Nixon era to note that the Supreme Court has ruled that former presidents have less legal authority to require confidentiality of Executive Branch registers.

Importantly, it is argued that this is the first time a sitting president has opposed a privilege claim filed by a former president. The bid’s claim should win, it claims, because the courts have ruled that the current president has a better perspective on how to protect Executive Branch interests.

“As President Biden has determined, any burden on the President’s office is far outweighed by the urgent need for the information of the selection committee to pass legislation that is crucial to our democracy,” the committee wrote.

Biden has repeatedly refused to assert executive privileges over records sought by the committee on January 6, but the panel postponed a request for about 50 pages, which the National Archives has designated as relevant. Committee members indicated that the decision was intended to avoid a potentially long delay due to potential privilege issues.

The January 6 committee also rejected Trump’s claim that a Supreme Court ruling in a separate case – a 2019 attempt by Parliament to get his financial records – should close the committee’s demand for his White House papers. That decision, the committee said, was only about personal papers from a sitting president – not the official records of a former president.

Trump also argued that the committee’s need for his documents was minimal and that the panel could pursue its legislative goals without obtaining records he considers privileged. But the committee described the term as “absurd.”

“The long public record of Mr. Trump’s statements and actions … provides an ample basis for seeking the non-public records of the person whom the attackers sought to maintain in the White House,” the committee writes. “Any query that did not insist on examining Mr Trump’s documents and communications would be worse than useless – it would be like staging a production of ‘Hamlet’ without the Prince of Denmark.”

Leave a Comment