John Barilaro speaks after cameraman scuffle

Former NSW deputy premier John Barilaro has broken his silence after footage emerged of an altercation between him and a cameraman in Manly.

NSW Police are investigating the incident which took place outside Garfish Manly on the Esplanade, about 7.30pm on Saturday.

In the footage, Barilaro can be seen pushing the cameraman and his camera away from him before walking away and waiting at the traffic lights to cross the road.

Barilaro is the subject of a parliamentary inquiry that is investigating his controversial appointment to a $500,000-a-year trade post in New York.

Loading

Speaking to 2GB on Monday morning, Barilaro said he was breaking his silence as a result of the incident with the cameraman.

“I’m being intruded on and harassed. On Saturday, I went out with some friends. To come out and have a camera shoved in your face. I’m a private citizen. I left politics last year,” he said.

“I was confronted in the dark out the front of a bar. If that was you, how would you respond? All I did was push a camera out of my way. I did not manhandle an individual.”

In response to the incident, Barilaro made a desperate plea to be called into the parliamentary inquiry.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *