NYC girl Julissia Batties’ funeral is scheduled

A 7-year-old Brooklyn girl who was killed while visiting her mother’s apartment in August will finally be laid to rest.

A funeral and wake for Julissia Batties will be held Monday at John’s Funeral Home in East New York, her grieving family told The Post.

Mother Navasia Jones – who has been questioned by police about the murder in her apartment – will be allowed to mourn her daughter for an hour at the funeral, family members said.

The little girl will be buried in a pink coffin wearing the white dress she chose for a wedding she attended.

Julissia’s death on August 10 was considered a homicide, but no arrests were made as her body sat in the morgue for several months – and family members quarreled over the final arrangements for the child.

Her father, Julius Batties, went to identify the child’s remains through photos last Friday with the girl’s grandmother, Yolanda Davis, she told The Post.

Julissia Batties with her father Julius Batties before her death.
Julissia Batties with her father Julius Batties before her death.

“Oh yeah, I’ve seen her, it’s her, it’s Julissia,” Davis said. “It was awful yesterday [Friday.] I was so desperate. It was really sad. “

Batties said he cried when he saw pictures of her daughter as he identified her with his mother.

“I did,” he said when asked if he was crying. “And I told her I was sorry about what happened to her.”

Julius Batties 37 years old at the memorial for his daughter at 175 Alexander Avenue in the Bronx, NY.  He is the father of 7-year-old Julissia Batties, who died Tuesday, reportedly of an older sibling.
Julius Batties at the memorial for his daughter at 175 Alexander Avenue in the Bronx in August.
Brigitte Stelzer

Batties said he will tell his 2-year-old son, Jayceon, “everything I loved about her … her name and face will be the light of my life, every step I take. She will never be forgotten.”

Davis said she and her son were in a lengthy custody battle over Julissia before her death, and they were outraged that they should continue to fight to get custody of her remains.

“I had to fight. I fought so hard for her. I did not get her, but in a way we got it because she [her mother] thought she would pick up her body and cremate her. It did not happen. We got it because we got her. ”

Yolanda Davis, (pictured, with a certificate that Julissia received) was the grandmother of 7-year-old Julissia Batties, who was found dead in the Bronx Tuesday.
Yolanda Davis said she was “so desperate” when she identified the remains of her granddaughter.
Gregory P. Mango

Julissia’s 17-year-old half-brother – who has reportedly admitted to punching her in the face eight times before her death – has been questioned by detectives.

Hours later, the upcoming second class began vomiting and fainting, prompting the 35-year-old mother to call 911.


Leave a Comment