Paddleboarder who died along with two others in the Haverfordwest River

Three people have died and one remains in hospital after a flood search in Haverfordwest.

Police, firefighters and a Coast Guard helicopter began searching for the Cleddau River in Haverfordwest Saturday morning after reports of distressed people in the water.

Police said a group of nine adults from the South Wales area had traveled to Pembrokeshire on a paddleboard excursion before getting into trouble in the water.

Two women and a man died at the scene and one woman remains in critical condition at the hospital. Five more people were rescued without injuries.

One of those killed in the incident is Paul O’Dwyer, understands ITV Wales.

The company Salty Dog paid tribute to Mr O’Dwyer on social media and said: “It is with a heavy heart that we say goodbye to our salty dog ​​Paul. A lovely human being taken too soon.

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to your friends and family. You will be greatly missed.”

The incident happened near Quay Street in Haverfordwest Saturday morning Credit: Martin Cavaney

Josh Cuggy, who is a friend of Mr. O’Dwyer, too, paid tribute to him, describing him as a “force to be reckoned with.”

In a tribute, he said: “There are no words to describe how I or anyone else feels about the loss of Paul.

“He was a force to be reckoned with, absolutely unstoppable in his pursuit of excellence and raising money for charity, including his own SA1UTE soldiers charity.

“Paul had a massive influence on me from the moment I met him. He always wanted the best for everyone else and was never worried about him but for everyone else.

“I will never forget Paul.”

In September, Mr. O’Dwyer organized a paddleboard trip between Aberavon and Mumbles to charity who raised over £ 2,000 to RNLI and a local lifeguard club.

The search operation began around 9 a.m. Saturday after reports of people in distress in the water Credit: Martin Cavaney

Those involved in the incident and their families are being supported by specially trained officers.

An investigation into the incident is currently underway.

The Quay Street area of ​​the city was closed for several hours Saturday, and a police cordon remained at the scene until 1 p.m.

Police have also informed the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) and a team of inspectors has been sent to the city to make an assessment of the incident.

Haverfordwest councilor Thomas Baden Tudor said the incident was a “terrible tragedy” and described how the river flowed at a “terrific rate” Saturday.

He said: “I would like to express my sympathy to the families who have lost their loved ones in this tragedy and I would like to thank the emergency services for their courageous efforts to tackle this problem.”

Prime Minister Mark Drakeford said in a statement that he was “deeply saddened” by the incident.

He said: “My thoughts go out to the families and friends who have lost loved ones in this heartbreaking tragedy. “Thanks to the emergency services and everyone who tried to help with the rescue effort.”

Leave a Comment