Prince Andrew’s lawyers ask to dismiss US sexual assault lawsuit because they say it violates the terms of a settlement agreement

Andrew, Queen Elizabeth’s second eldest son, is being sued in New York by Giuffre, who claims she was forced to perform sex acts with him. She said she was trafficked by Epstein and forced to have sex with his friends, including the Duke of York, when she was a minor.

Giuffre has said the assaults took place in London, New York and the US Virgin Islands, and that Andrew was aware that she was a minor – 17 years old – when it started.

Andrew has consistently denied Giuffre’s allegations.

In the filing Friday afternoon, Andrews’ attorneys reiterated that he “unequivocally denies Giuffre’s false accusations against him.” CNN has contacted a lawyer for Giuffre for a comment.

“Virginia Giuffre may well be a victim of sexual abuse at the hands of Jeffrey Epstein … and nothing can excuse, or fully capture, the disgust and seriousness of Epstein’s monstrous behavior towards Giuffre, if that is the case,” it reads. . “But without diminishing the damage suffered as a result of Epstein’s alleged misconduct, Prince Andrew has never sexually abused or assaulted Giuffre.”

The application accuses Giuffre of having profited from her allegations of abuse by “selling stories and photographs to the press” and entering into “secret agreements” to settle claims against Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell, Epstein’s ex-boyfriend, who has also been accused of sex trafficking. after federal prosecutors allege she recruited and cared for a girl to engage in sexual acts with Epstein.

Maxwell has pleaded not guilty. Her trial is expected to begin in November.

“Accusing a member of the world’s best-known royal family of serious misconduct has helped Giuffre create a media frenzy online and in the traditional press,” the case reads. “Epstein’s abuse of Giuffre does not justify her public campaign against Prince Andrew.”

It adds that Giuffre reached a settlement with Epstein in 2009, which included a “general release” of all claims against Epstein and several other individuals, as lawyers say, including Andrew. Information about the settlement was removed from the lawsuit made by Andrews’ lawyers.

London police are taking 'no further action' over Prince Andrew's report
Earlier this week, a U.S. judge set a deadline of mid-July next year for the Duke of York to answer questions under oath in the civil assault case. Judge Lewis A. Kaplan set July 14 as the deadline for submitting all evidence, including a potential deposit from Andrew, according to court documents.

The schedule order signed by the judge in New York means that lawyers for Giuffre must question Andrew outside the court and submit the interview before that date.

Also in October, London’s police force decided to drop its investigation, which was triggered by Giuffre’s case after reviewing a number of court documents.

“This review is complete and we will not go any further,” the force told CNN in a statement.

The Duke of York was served legal papers for the trial by Giuffre’s lawyers in September.

.

Leave a Comment