> Sydney news: Heavy fog delays flights and prompts road weather alert for Sydney’s west

Sydney news: Heavy fog delays flights and prompts road weather alert for Sydney’s west

This is what you need to know this morning. 

Fog affects Sydney Airport and roads 

Airport queue Monday
Sydney Airport has apologised to travellers for the delays.(Instagram: @drewboyweston)

There are massive queues through security at Sydney Airport this morning, with travellers waiting in lines that stretch outside the terminal.

Sydney Airport said heavy fog had affected flights this morning, and one security lane in the domestic terminal was temporarily not operating due to a technical issue.

Sydney Airport apologised to travellers for the queues and said it was working with airlines to resolve the problem.

Posting on Twitter, Qantas confirmed that a number of flights had been delayed, and asked travellers to check the company’s app for updates.

Stuck in a long queue, traveller Anthony Broese van Groenou said he was hoping he would make his flight to Hobart in an hour.

“It was pretty obvious when we pulled up in the taxi it was going to be a big, big wait in line. It’s certainly not ideal,” he said.

A road weather alert has been issued for Sydney’s western suburbs due to the fog.

The Bureau of Meteorology is warning that roads are dangerous because of reduced visibility.

Motorists are being advised to take extreme care.

Some F3 Parramatta River ferries may also be delayed.

Aged care outbreak investigation

Four Corners investigated the COVID-19 outbreak at Newmarch House.
Four Corners investigated the COVID-19 outbreak at Newmarch House.

An inquest due to start today will examine the deaths of 19 aged care residents after COVID-19 spread at Sydney’s Newmarch House.

The families of the people who died between April and June 2020 have raised concerns about the care they received.

They have criticised infection control, and say they were misinformed about a decision not to transfer sick residents to hospital. 

Residents were confined to their rooms and no visitors were allowed in during the outbreak. 

The inquest, before Deputy State Coroner Derek Lee, is expected to run for three weeks. 

Barilaro inquiry delay over secret documents 

a man standing and looking
A parliamentary committee is investigating how the former Deputy Premier got the job, which he’s since withdrawn from.(AAP: James Gourley )

NSW Parliament could be recalled for an urgent sitting this week, over the government’s failure to produce documents regarding John Barilaro’s appointment to a plum New York trade job. 

A parliamentary committee is investigating how the former Deputy Premier got the job, which he’s since withdrawn from.

Acting Opposition Leader in the upper house John Graham has written to the Legislative Council President, asking for the House to be recalled on Friday.

Shadow Treasurer Daniel Mookhey said the government had failed to hand over documents, including Mr Barilaro’s job application and CV.

The opposition has reserved its right to withdraw the request if the government complies with the order before Friday.

Premier Dominic Perrottet yesterday acknowledged delays but insisted more documents will be handed over. 

‘Incredibly disappointing’ weather for Splendour 

a group of people some holding coffee cups walk along a wet dirt campgrounds road
The Splendour crowd came dressed for the conditions on Saturday.(AAP: Jason O’Brien)

The Member for Ballina says it’s “incredibly disappointing” that this year’s Splendour in the Grass festival has been plagued by problems.

Severe rain and wind on Friday resulted in organisers cancelling the main acts for day one of the event.

Patrons have also told of huge delays to access post-event transport in the early hours of the morning.

MP Tamara Smith, whose electorate covers the North Byron Parklands site, said the state government needed to do better to support festivals.

“It’s really incredibly disappointing for patrons and for the festival organisers. Nobody wants that outcome, everyone wants a wonderful experience,” Ms Smith said.

Alert to check fire alarms

white smoke alarm with hand touching it
Residents are being warned to check their smoke alarms.(ABC News: Sally Rafferty)

Fire and Rescue NSW is urging people to check their smoke alarms after three people, including a child, were killed in a house fire in Sydney’s south west.

The state’s death toll from house fires this year stands at 13, a marked increase over last year.

Authorities believe the residential home at Hinchinbrook, where the fatal fire took hold yesterday, did not have working smoke alarms.

Superintendent Luke Unsworth from Fire and Rescue New South Wales said smoke alarms are mandatory on every level where people sleep.

“However, we are still aware there are some properties without a working smoke alarm. If that is the case it may just need a new battery or it may need to be replaced so we are really asking people to make sure you’ve got a working smoke alarm,” Mr Unsworth said. 

Special disaster unit request

The Police Association of NSW is calling on the state government to set up a special police emergency response unit for disasters.

The proposal has been put forward in the association’s submission to the independent inquiry into flooding in the Northern Rivers and the Hawkesbury. 

The inquiry is due to hand its report to the state government within the week. 

Association president Kevin Morton said the special unit could help coordinate emergency responses. 

“Police are normally called in when these situations tend to spiral out of control and we are losing valuable time and days in those situations where the community is at the poor end of that,” Mr Morton said. 

Leave a Comment